If you’ve ever wondered… “What would happen if I hopped in a helicopter and tried to pilot it?” … then this is a deff a game to give a shot. I now know what would happen to me… I’d get about 150 feet in the air then crash into the side of a mountain – over and over again.
I started out a little frustrated with this game. I was playing on the easiest difficulty (tutorial) and still had major troubles getting through the missions. I, of course, had to take into account that I have next to no experience with flight sim games. Once I gave it a few tries and took a few deep breaths I was able to get through a few missions and actually really started enjoying the game.
Some of the key points featured on the game are:
- Authentic War Zones – With 16 multi-stage missions involving air and ground strike operations, the campaign takes you along real life hot spots. From the jungles of Central America to the mountains of Central Asia, Apache has you where the fight is needed most.
- Realism Defined – Everything in the game is painstakingly made with Realism in mind. From the real-world satellite photography used to make the in-game environments to the simulation controls, Apache puts you in the front seat of helicopters modeled exactly to look like their real life counterparts.
- Tailored Experience – Play the way you want to play. Jump right in and rain down destruction in the game’s Arcade-style Training Mode or test your aerial skills by playing in the challenging Realistic Mode.
- Cooperative Destruction – Have a friend join the fight! The local cooperative mode let’s two players gear up in the same Apache and tackle the game’s story mode with one player acting as the pilot and the other as the co-pilot/gunner.
- Online Helicopter Combat – Join other helicopter enthusiasts in the cooperative online mode, Squad Operations. Up to four Apaches can fight together in unison to make a Squadron. With 13 individual missions playable with 2-4 players online.
- The Right Tool for the Job – Pick from a variety of highly detailed helicopters such as the Apache AH-64D Longbow, Apache AH-1, Apache AH-64X Experimental Prototype, MQ-8B Fire Scout and the Mi-35 Hind. as you’ll be sure to need different load outs for different battlefields.
Gaijin Entertainment is behind this game as the developer. They are known for their flight simulation games, most notably, IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey. They did not disappoint with this one… the graphics are extremely realistic, from the environment to the Apaches they are spot on. With the different game modes you are able to play there is a ton of replay value and tons of opportunity for the guys over at Activision to release some great DLC.
The cons of this game are minute. I, again, was frustrated with the initial difficulty of the game. As a beginner I would hope to have the tutorial mode be a little more tutorial. The missions seem a bit all over the place rather than progressive. They have you fighting pirates one mission, then insurgents the next, followed by drug lords, then back to pirates. I got stuck on the second mission then got through the next few in a breeze and was back to stuck again on the 5th or 6th mission. I think if you have patients or even better are a flight sim guru than you will have a ton of fun with this game. Nevertheless, I will continue playing until I beat the game… deff look for a follow up once complete!
Developer: Gaijin Entertainment
Platform(s): Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Genre : Military Flight Combat Simulator
Players: Single player, 2-player local cooperative, 2-4 player online cooperative
Street Date: November 16, 2010
ESRB: T for TEEN
Until next time,my fellow media addicts, remember: Admitting that you have a problem is the first step to indulging!