Quick Attacks are Vagary.TV’s way of giving you, the reader, a glimpse at a game we are playing. This could be a game we are reviewing in full or just something we picked up for a few days to kill some time but either way it will highlight thoughts and impressions from the first hour or two of gameplay. Opinions could change before our final though.
In this Quick Attack, we look at the first few hours of DMC on Playstation 3.
- Intro tries desperately to be stylish but I feel it comes off as stupid and borderline offensive.
- It is good looking, although Limbo’s red tinge does not really appeal to me.
- Combat is fluid, easy to understand and get into. Seems overly simple in this first level though. I hope it adds some depth as the game progresses. (It does)
- When not fighting Dante seems slower, making timing jumps awkward to perform, at least at first.
- Platforming design and controls seem off. Something is missing.
- Characters are uninteresting, especially Dante who comes off as arrogant and immature instead of cool.
- Initial boss fight is a bit tedious. (This is because Dante hasn’t unlocked any powers/weapons as of yet)
Despite some of my issues with it the game is surprisingly fun and I’m looking forward to seeing everything Ninja Theory has adjusted in the series formula. Expect my full review sometime early next week.