Understandably, Nintendo spent most of its press conference talking about Wii U. However they did not forget about their handheld the 3DS, giving it a special hour of reveals in the Nintendo 3DS Software Showcase. Here are my thoughts.
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate looks fantastic, showing off the power of the 3DS. The game is played from a 2.5D perspective with a lot of cinematic stylings. There will be four playable characters and a deep story exploring Dracula’s Castle and the legacy of the Belmonts.
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon is visually stunning but I am just not feeling it.
- Supposedly Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion will explore forgotten videogame history, from the presentation I am not seeing that outside of the obvious Castle of Illusion influence. What I did see though was classic 2D gameplay and full utilization of the dual screens of the 3DS. As of right now, this is my most anticipated 3DS title.
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star brings back the turn based battle system from past Paper Mario games but the twist is that the stickers you pick up go into an album that you select from to battle. The game has a weird leveling system where combat grants you know experience. Overall, I’m not sold on the game.
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance looks as convoluted as every other Kingdom Hearts game. I’m sure I’ll love it.
- I’m having a hard time getting a feel for Scribblenauts Unlimited, it looks like Scribblenauts but more open worldy. Also Nintendo is really pushing this a ton.
- Lego Batman 2, Transformers Prime, Rabbids Rumble, Heroes of Ruin all got stage time via a sizzle real.
- Pokemon Black Version 2 and Pokemon White Version 2, developed for Nintendo DS but with 3DS functionality. Um…. OK.
- Threediots is an original series available for free on Nintendo Video. It looks so bad, it just should not exist.
- Mario really is Nintendo’s savior, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is another reason to own the system.
No surprises came out of this show but overall it showed the 3DS has a strong lineup coming in 2012 and if you own the system, you will have plenty to play in the coming months.