Nintendo is launching the Wii U this holiday and this E3 is a huge event for them to build buzz. Here are my thoughts on how they did.
- The Wii U looks sexy in black. I want it.
- After years of rumors and speculation, Pikmin 3 has finally been announced. The game looks quite pretty. A new Pikmin type was revealed, the rock pikmin, which adds a strategic depth to the games combat. The game will be playable with Wiimote and Nunchuck or the Wii U tablet controller. Overall it looks to be a lot of fun and is something different from what Nintendo has been doing for the last five years. Did I say it was pretty yet? Because it really is. I want it.
- Nintendo finally cleared up the question of if more than one tablet controllers will be able to be used at once on the Wii U. The answer is yes, two can be used at once. I sound like a crazed fanboy but I want it… now.
- The Miiverse interface is a bit crowded. I don’t really like it. I guess it was dumb of me to think I would like everything right?
- New Super Mario Bros U looks like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. That of course means it looks awesome. Want.
- Batman Arkham City gets a big push as the Armored Edition, which seemed weird to me being as by the time the game comes out on Wii U it will be over a year old. There is interesting new functionality but it doesn’t detract from the fact that the game will be a year old. I’ll be skipping this one.
- Scribblenauts Unlimited brings the fun puzzle game to the Wii U. It looks to be quite fun but is it going to be a full retail game? I only ask because I don’t want to pay $50+ for a new Scribblenauts title.
- Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, Tank! Tank! Tank!, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Trine 2: Director’s Cut, Ninja Gaiden 3, Aliens Colonial Marines all were shown briefly in a sizzle real. It is nice to see some support for a Nintendo console for the first time in a long time.
- Wii Fit U “adds another valuable peripheral”. It looks more like a game than the past Wii Fit programs which might get me to play it more. Now where did I put that Wii Fit board?
- Sing is a karaoke machine. As stupid as it sounds it looks like a lot of fun. My kids will eat this up and add a couple of drinks and so will adults at my house for a party.
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 comes August 19th for the 3DS. Just like New Super Mario Bros. U, I don’t think I need to tell you this looks phenomenal.
- Super Paper Mario: Sticker Star looks pretty but unlike the New Super Mario Bros. games I can’t say I am super excited for it. It seems to have a weird vibe to it.
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon… meh.
- Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance all were highlighted in a sizzle real. All actually look really good and make me happy I own a 3DS.
- Lego City: Undercover is an open world Lego game. It seems to have all the gameplay of other Lego titles but with the ability to roam a true Lego world. I need to see more but it could be very fun.
- Ubisoft is really throwing its weight behind the Wii U. Just Dance 4 has some odd connectivity with the tablet and Zombie U looks to be a strong first person zombie shooter. They are also bringing Assassin’s Creed III, Rabbids Land, Your Shape, Rayman Legends, Sports Connection, and Avengers: Battle for Earth.
- Nintendo Land is an amusement park for your Mii… I think.
In the end, I think Nintendo did what they had to do. A lack of a new 3D Mario title is disappointing and no huge third-party announcement was slightly upsetting but the Wii U looks solid and it seems to have support. Now I suppose we wait for the price and date announcements.