Being French, Ubisoft seemingly has a different idea of what a good E3 press conference should contain. This has made for some “interesting” conferences in the past couple years and hings continued to be weird this year. Here are my thoughts.
- Ubisoft keeps the insanity of its past conferences by showcasing Just Dance 4 and having Flo Rida come on stage to perform. Possibly the most entertaining thing I’ve seen all day.
- Far Cry 3 looks great. Ubisoft really seems to be pushing the envelopes with this title. The demo was packed with nudity and people yelling fuck. Getting past that though the underlying theme of sanity could make for interesting gameplay. I was not interested in this game, now maybe I am.
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist got more detailed. I am still not interested.
- The Kinect and Wii U Avengers game, Battle for Earth, showed nothing of gameplay.
- Rayman: Legends will be supporting the Wii U. Like Origins last year, this game looks fantastic. It seems to have the same great Rayman platforming feel, which is most definetely a good thing. I do not see me actually using the Wii U tablet’s touch functionality to play this though.
- Zombi U, (I am not sure if the U is just a branding thing or actually part of the title), looks like something to look forward to on the Wii U that is not made by Nintendo. This is one I’ll be looking into further.
- I was completely burnt out on Assassin’s Creed after Revelations but Ubisoft really knows how to stoke the fires and I am once again fully on board. The new here, Connor, is super badass. The open world looks fresh and fun to explore. Enemies having guns and working in unison will force different tactics. In short, Assassin’s Creed III really seems to be a proper evolution for the series. I want it now.
- The Shootmania presentation was excruciatingly painful to watch. Even so it has a lot of promise. Gameplay reminds me of Quake III or Unreal Tournament, so… old school, which can be insanely fun if a community forms around it.
- Watch Dogs was the only thing I did not see coming and it looks exceptionally good. It seems like Assassin’s Creed mixed slightly with Splinter Cell. Graphically the game looks very strong, animations are fluid and the action seems tight. I am very much interested in seeing more about this game.
As usual, Ubisoft was a weird show but they really brought the games this year. They have a great variety of titles and a lot of stuff that looks like it could be top of the line when they come out.